About our La Buena Vida
It was October 2005 when Keith and Marilyn Keller arrived to Ayampe as tourists and fell in love with this charming little village. They took the risk to build a dream and made the choice to call this wonderful place home.
La Buena Vida opened its doors to the public in February 2010. A husband and wife team offering Manhattan hotel industry knowledge, over 15 years of client service experience, and a passion for surfing, Keith and Marilyn have tapped into the culture and beautiful scenery of Ayampe, Ecuador to offer a unique and amazing experience at La Buena Vida Hotel. With the combination of extensive surf knowledge, local insights, and the natural gift for client services, this duo can help find whatever you’re looking for during your trip to the beautiful country of Ecuador.
Your hosts Keith, Marilyn and their 3 kids have created an atmosphere like no other at this small Hotel in Ayampe, they make anyone who comes to La Buena Vida feel like family.
Originally from Virginia Beach, Keith started surfing at age 9 and rapidly gained the interest of local surf sponsors as the years passed. Keith spent most of his time in the water, practicing for competitions as well as many years of competing locally. Finally, landing a few local sponsorships like Volcom he continued his quest to advance further in the surf industry. After only a few short years of competition, he knew the best thing for himself, would be to build his own surf camp. His undeniable love and knowledge about the sport makes it impossible for you to not to enjoy yourself.
Keith’s stoke is high when it comes to surfing and he’s ready to pass that stoke on to all of his visitors. In Manhattan, Keith became intimately acquainted with the New York high-end hotel industry, which served as a perfect prep course for La Buena Vida Hotel.
Born in New York to an Ecuadorian mom and a Colombian dad. Marilyn always has been proud of her Latin roots. Growing up she traveled back and forth between both South American countries. Marilyn lived several years in Guayaquil, Ecuador and learned the culture, the food and the traditions of the Coast and has extensive knowledge of the Baja Manabi area. Marilyn spent several years in New York pursuing higher education. Now, 10 years later, she’s helped establish the beautiful La Buena Vida Hotel, and is using her talents and leadership skills to provide her guests with the ultimate vacation experience. Marilyn not only opens her kitchen (with amazing recipes) to you, but also expect her to treat you like family to ensure your stay in Ayampe is comfortable and delicious!
Anyone who has visited this quiet, sleepy, surfer town will tell you what a magical place it is and all of us who live here are committed to keeping it that way for future generations.
Below are a few of our sustainability efforts:
- We support local projects that promote the sustainable development of the community. All guests are asked to donate $1 from their stay to help the community’s sustainable growth.
- We hire and train 100% of our staff from the surrounding area
- We include native plants that provide food and shelter for the local animal population in our garden design
- We treat 50% of wastewater without using chemicals and re-use the water for irrigating the hotel’s lush tropical gardens
- We use all-natural soap, shampoo and lotion products by Amazon Aroma
- We recycle the hotel’s plastic and glass waste
- We compost raw food waste from our restaurant and Salad Bar to make organic fertilizer for our gardens
- We organize periodic beach cleanups to keep our beaches clean and free of waste
If you are interested in helping let us know!